For the past couple of years I’ve had grand plans for my writing career. For the past couple of years, those plans haven’t quite panned out. However, 2012 was the year I finally got the kick in the pants to really start getting serious about my writing career, and make it an actual career, and do something with it other than talk about it. This was in large part because of the Asymmetrical Community. I’ve met a lot of great people and found loads of inspiration from the people in that community. Another MASSIVE inspiration for me this year was the Self Publishing Podcast. Holy whoa those guys pump out some words!!
2012 in Review
While I didn’t accomplish everything I wanted to in 2012, I’m happy with what I did complete. Divided is edited and on the way to being published. I’m working on the technical aspects of it now, but the book itself is done. I’m going to publish it in March, and can not wait to get it out in the world finally! It’s been a long journey, but the end is in sight.
I also have a rough draft of another book that I’m going to work with and publish. I’m not sure yet if I’ll publish it in 2013 or early 2014, but it will happen. This is the novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo (my 4th win!)
So while that’s not a massive list of accomplishments, for me they’re pretty major. It’s a list of solid accomplishments and steady progress and I’m pleased with it. I’ve also taken the first steps toward self-publishing, which means the next book will be a little easier to get out there.
Looking Ahead to 2013
I’m not really a fan of New Year Resolutions. Every time I’ve tried them it doesn’t last. But this is a list of things I’ve been working towards for a little while anyway, so I don’t see it as a resolution list. In 2013 I have both writing and non-writing goals.
- Publish Divided in early March
- Write/rewrite/finish writing Ravaged, the sequel to Divided (it’s half complete but it’s been almost 2 years since I’ve looked at it, so I’m not sure what needs to be done with it.)
- Publish Ravaged probably near the end of 2013
- Edit Burning Darkness , and possibly publish at some point in 2013. If not, in early 2014
Those are all the solid goals I have, but I also plan to write some short stories. I don’t know what they’ll be about yet, but they’ll be around sometime.
- Become a Mary Kay Sales Director
- Visit NYC at least once
- Attend Mary Kay Seminar in Dallas
- Become healthier (this entails a lot, and I won’t bore you with the details unless you really want to know…leave a comment if you do.)
What are your plans for the new year? Do you make New Year resolutions? Why or why not?